Cambridge Regional College raising apprenticeship prospects

Along with the news reported this week that the Cambridge area ranks in the top ten UK cities for average earnings and the burgeoning growth of high tech industries in the region, Cambridge Regional College, with its campuses in both Cambridge and Huntingdon, has announced that it has 60 business partners currently recruiting for apprentices.

As in other areas of the economy, local performance is outstripping the norms and even going against national trends. According to Department of Education figures released late in 2017 last year saw a big fall across the UK in students and workers starting apprenticeships, down by over 50% between May and July against the comparable 2016 data.

The introduction of the apprenticeship levy, designed partly to allow employers to choose and pay for apprenticeship training more easily, does have its critics but Maureen Horan, Head of Employment Services for Cambridge Regional College, says with the strength of the College’s relationships with employers in the area and a buoyant local economy, the prospects for budding apprentices in Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire are excellent.

Earning while you learn, training whilst in work and studying for a nationally recognised qualification specific to a chosen career ticks all the boxes for both employer and employee, says Maureen Horan. “When you’re building valuable experience from day one and being taught in professional level facilities by tutors with hears of industry experience, you’re giving yourself a head-start in your career choice”.

Igor Iglev is one apprentice who has benefited from this model of study, he said, “I began working as a kitchen porter at Westminster College and received the training required to become a traditional English breakfast chef. A couple of months later I began studying Professional Cookery as an apprentice at Cambridge Regional College. My biggest challenge was learning the English language, while simultaneously progressing through the programme. I received a lot of support from my assessor Karen, and now I am on the verge of completing my Level 3 qualification.

I am infinitely thankful to Westminster College for seeing potential in me and Cambridge Regional College for helping me develop to become a better chef. I would also like to express my gratitude towards Chris Burrows & Graham Taylor, the best chefs and teachers that I have ever met.”

Hannah Anderson, Domestic Manager at Westminster College, is delighted with how Igor has progressed since attending CRC, she said, “The professional cookery course that our Commis Chef has been on has been invaluable to him. Not only has Igor learnt cookery skills from his tutors, his English and his confidence in the kitchen has improved immensely. He has had the opportunity to work at Ascot through the College and the course has also allowed him to develop from Commis Chef to CDP. He is now our current Sous Chef and we are extremely proud of Igor and his achievements.”

The range of apprenticeships available via Cambridge Regional College extends from Accounting, Business Administration and Marketing to Brickwork, Beauty Therapy, Information Technology and various types of Engineering.  In total more than 30 specialist subjects are available across the spectrum of practical, vocational, professional and trade disciplines.

Cambridge Campus Status

The Cambridge Campus is open as normal.
3/3/18

Huntingdon Campus Status

The Huntingdon Campus is open as normal.
3/3/18