Work experience pays off for student Blanca

travel and tourism

Blanca at the college’s in-house travel agency, Wisteria Travel

A new work experience partnership with Cambridge City Council has paid off for Cambridge Regional College student Blanca Dickie – with the offer of a new job.

The 26 year-old Travel and Tourism student starts work at the city’s busy tourist centre next month after impressing managers there with her skills and hard work. And she says the job was a direct result of doing work experience at the centre.

“I was very grateful for the chance to do work experience, which gave me an opportunity to show off the skills I had learned in college, as well as finding out more about working in the tourist industry,” she said.
“I enjoyed my work experience so much that I carried on working as a volunteer and when a vacancy came up, I applied – and was offered the job. I don’t think I would have been so lucky if I hadn’t had work experience.”
Blanca, who was brought up in Ecuador, speaks Spanish as well as English – a big help to her work with visitors from all over the world.

Travel and Tourism lecturer Sally Broadwith said the work experience partnership with the tourist office was a new venture which was working extremely well. “We have only recently started work experience programmes for our Travel and Tourism students and we were delighted when Cambridge Tourist Information Centre offered to provide placements for our students,” she said.

“Having proper work experience is invaluable for students – it gives them a real advantage in the jobs market and enables them to show off their talents.”

MEDIA ENQUIRIES
For more information, please contact Lynn O’Shea, Communications & PR Manager,
on 01223 418773 or email loshea@camre.ac.uk